Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dipper trip at Tahquitz Creek


(The day after--a heavy storm the night before)
This morning I went to Tahquitz Canyon to try to find the Dipper, (Cinclus mexicanus). I had heard at least one was spending part of the winter in the canyon, working the creek. For those not familiar with Palm Springs and Tahquitz Canyon, now there is a Visitors Center there, and it costs $12 per person to hike the looping trails along the creek. This has only been the past seven or eight years, before that the canyon was open and you could wander in and out from a variety of entrances. It was also uncontrolled and homeless people lived in the canyon, using the resources as I imagine the native Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians did in history.

As you know, Palm Springs is in a desert. It is a terrific place on the leeward side of Mt. San Jacinto so all the weather normally hits the west side of the mountain, leaving the east side dry and protected from the wind. You really can sit in downtown Palm Springs, which is close to the mountain, very comfortably sipping a Starbuck's, then drive a couple minutes north and be in a blinding windstorm. Windy point is aptly named, as a hapless film crew found out years ago when they were trying to set up their equipment to take some shots of inbound Highway 111. The wind kept blowing their cameras down, even with sandbags on the tripods.

I am always impressed by being able to definitely point to a location where the mountain starts and the desert stops. From just a little ways away it appears as if Mt. San Jacinto just lifts vertically out of the ground on the west side of Palm Springs downtown area. As you get closer you realize there are many beautiful canyons that keep their secrets well from those less intrepid or curious. Tahquitz Canyon is one of the more well known of these canyons.

In days past, it was a popular destination for Spring Breaking college kids, who would hike up to the falls for swimming and frolicking. Now it is very controlled, complete with flood control and guided tours so the frolicking is less, but you can learn a lot more about the flora and fauna, as well as the native peoples lore. There is also a lot less graffiti and trash. The tribal rangers make sure the place is safe and pristine.

I have read on several emails sent out on a listserv that there has been a Dipper working the canyon along the creek for several weeks. I decided to try for a picture or two. I hiked up the creekside trail and kept my eyes peeled. I ended up going all the way to the falls before I knew it. We had a pretty good storm by desert standards over the past two days, so there was plenty of water in the creek, and the falls were gorgeous.

Along the way a California Towhee (Pipilo crissalis), came into the sun and perched on a rock sunning himself, allowing me to snap a couple shots. Hummingbirds were plentiful, zooming in and around hikers, scolding them as they zoomed past. The Chuperosa was just blooming all through the canyon and the hummers were busy at every flower. I believe there were Costa's (Calypte costae), and Anna's (Calypte anna) hummingbirds buzzing all through the canyon.



There were Ravens(Corvus corax) in a group of about 10 playing along the canyon walls. A Red-Tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis), floated above the canyon for a time. As I made my way up the trail Mockingbirds (Mimus polyglots), and Verdin (Auriparus flaviceps) kept me company in and out of the bushes.

I walked all the way up to the falls, then back down, taking little forays off the trail to keep near the creek and scan for the illusive Dipper. I saw a Tribal Ranger taking a group on a guided tour and asked him where the Dipper was last seen. He told me it had been seen near the first crossing of the creek, near the mouth of the canyon, and the visitor center.

(This pair of Mallards were keeping to the foliage at the edge of a pool near the falls)

I made my way back and marveled at the amount of tourists that were hiking the trail. Many wore shirts, sweatshirts, hats and other paraphernalia announcing where they were from. Places like Wisconsin, (they were in shorts and t-shirts), Canada, Texas and more. People of all ages were making their way up and down the canyon. The hummingbirds didn't care. They scolded and zoomed about without care. The towhees spent most of their time on the ground under bushes keeping away from tromping feet. Sparrows and Mockingbirds made their way up the canyon walls one bush at a time away from trail-keeping humans.

(A small falls with the sunlight reflecting off the water)

I made it back to the first crossing and kept to the creek as I made my way slowly toward the Visitor Center. I scanned but didn't see anything resembling a Dipper. Dippers, or Ouzel's as they are known, are peculiar in that they are a small bird that like fast moving creeks. They flit to a rock in the middle of the swift water, then simply dive into the rush of water, disappearing to the bottom of the creek where they feed. Then they pop up on the surface of the water, bob to a rock and step out. Water beads up and is shaken off. They repeat the process, foraging along the creek bottom until sated. Amazing to watch. I saw one years ago in the Kern river and sat mesmerized as the little bird popped first under the water, then up and onto a smooth rock, seemingly unaffected by the swift current.

Today, I found myself standing about fifteen feet above the creek, near the Visitor Center with people streaming to and from the Center, up and down the canyon, believing there were too many people for the little Dipper to be out and about. Then I saw it. It flew right up the middle of the creek toward the crossing. I actually said out loud, "There it is!" and hustled my way through the hikers up the creek. I never got a picture or got to see the little guy do his thing, but I did verify it was there, and I will make another trip to get to see it again.

You might be a bird nerd if... you go up a popular canyon looking for a little dipper.

No comments:

Post a Comment