Thursday, January 20, 2011

Surprise Canyon

My sons came home for the holidays and while we were busy with other things, they went out and found a new place to hike. When they told me about their discovery, I thought I knew the area and believed it to be a desert area with little new to offer. I have seen people park and start walking into the desert in this area for years. From the road there doesn't seem to be much up there except more desert. I never took the time to investigate. What a mistake!

Austin talked me into taking the hike with him, so loaded with a water bottle and camera, off we went. I learned from the CBC's to always take my camera. I went to the San Jacinto CBC and left my camera in the car while hiking into an open field with Chet McGaugh. It was a very flat, wet and muddy, open field with one tree. We walk out, taking about a half hour or three quarters of an hour to get to the tree, and sure enough, there were not one, but two White Tailed Kites that flew up and landed on the tree. They sat there for some time, too. Chet got some good pics. I have a fond memory.

So, I took my camera this time. I was so very happy I did. The hike was challenging, but not debilitating. It took longer than we thought, but part of the time was spent looking at the views. It was amazing the changes the canyon went through. From flat desert, to steep canyon, with wide pools in a beautiful little stream with frogs, (yes, frogs!), singing. Bushes were starting to flower, and green shoots were everywhere.


The geology changed from sand to granite, to beautiful volcanic red rock. The hike ended in a box canyon with the largest fig tree I have ever seen growing on one side. Cat's claw filled a good portion of the canyon, but there were enough areas to walk around that it was private and secluded, yet with a view.



A waterfall sneaked over the top of the end wall of the canyon, that started the creek that ran down the canyon. There were frogs singing here as well. Along the way we saw a couple of Phainopepla's, California Towhees, and a Verdin.


I took my camera out and left my water bottle on a large rock next to the creek while I went up into the box canyon for a pic or two. While we were oohing and aaahing, we heard someone calling out. I figured they found the water bottle. I didn't figure to know the person yelling.

As Austin and I stepped back out of the foliage, and down the creek, I saw Michele Mician, the sustainability coordinator for the City of Palm Springs. She was with her friend Tom and she had already put my water bottle into her backpack. She returned the bottle, and we talked for a while before Austin and I headed down the canyon.




Going down was easier, and we met a few nice people of all ages and abilities making their way through the desert. Near the bottom I saw an Ana's Hummingbird. The Hummingbird landed on a bush and sat there while I snapped some photos.


All in all this was a very surprising and fun day. We had it all, nice hike, beautiful scenery, nice people, and birds. Good day.


You might be a birdnerd if you find friends in the strangest places.

No comments:

Post a Comment